How to Prepare for Moving
Moving to a new house often makes people experience and go through a mix of emotions. There is sadness with the thought that you will leave the place you called home for a long time. There is also excitement with the idea that you will soon be exploring a new area. To top it all, there is the stress at the idea of having to pack and prepare to move to your new home. While there is nothing you can do when it comes to the sadness you feel with having to leave your current home, there is always something you can do to make packing and moving homes more efficient and less stressful on your part. Here are some of the ways on how to prepare for moving:
* Start by packing as early as you can to avoid any last minute mess or confusion. The earlier you encourage the whole family to pack, the less stress you will face when the day of the move finally comes. Since it is not possible to pack everything several months ahead of time, it is a wise idea to start packing some items in ahead. Once it becomes official that you will be moving to a new home, you can pack stuff that you don’t use regularly, including knick-knacks, seasonal clothing, and holiday décor.
* Put clear labels on all the boxes for the move. You can request the movers to put your boxes in the room where they are marked for to make the move easier. This will save you from having to dig around mountains of boxes in the garage while trying to find those that go into certain rooms of the house. It is always easier if you label your moving boxes clearly, and have them place in the specific rooms where they belong.
* Hire and schedule movers well ahead of time. if you have plans to get the help of a moving service, it is imperative that you schedule them for at least a couple of months in advance. This way, you will have ample time to properly guide them through the entire process of moving your stuff, which can be very helpful if you have specialty items which need special care and handling.
* Prior to the big move, don’t forget to fill out forms for change of address. It is more convenient to drop by the post office several days before the move to fill them out than having to deal with the task on the day of your move. In addition, you also have to print out your new address cards to send to your family and friends so that they will know your new address once the time comes for them to send housewarming gifts or mail holiday cards.
* Pack your overnight bag that you can bring with you during the night of your move. The bag must contain water, toiletries, toothbrushes, blankets and sheets, and clean clothes to wear. It will help you and your whole family to be prepared once the move is finished, but the unpacking isn’t done yet.Contact us Moving Estimate